[VIDEO] Local Business How-To: List Your Local Business on Google
Create Your Google Business Listing Here: https://www.google.com/business/
Every local business needs to have their business listed on Google. I have never met any professional marketer (for that matter, I’d even include non professional marketers), who would say that having a google listing is a mistake.
Here’s why it’s so beneficial:
Take a simple example from a customer’s perspective.
Steve was driving with his family over for a weekend day-visit to Chicago. Steve’s family was just about 15 minutes away, and his wife nudged him on the shoulder, asking him if he has already thought about what the family could eat together for lunch. Steve didn’t even think about it! Oh, Steve!
Without any further question, Steve tells his wife, “Honey, look up some food options over on Wabash, through Google. I’m feeling pizza, if you and the kids are up for it! My spothero parking is on Wabash, so it’ll be easiest”.
Steve’s wife, of course being a relatively tech friendly millennial, grabs her iPhone and starts searching away. She goes into google and types the following: “Pizzeria restaurants Wabash st. Chicago”. After gazing through some of the options, she decides she’s going to call the one with the nicest images and the best reviews, because of course, competition is high and this is the only way to really know which pizzeria to buy from. She calls up the pizzeria, tells the cashier what she’d like to order ahead of time, and boom, she’s got her pizza ready for her, Steve and the rest of the family within 15 minutes.
This is a fantastic example for the types of experiences that you (as a customer of other businesses) and your customers are going through each day. The process is “I want something, I’ll find something, I’ll get something, received.”
Keeping this in mind, it is very important to create your Google Business listing. It takes less than 10 minutes (as you can see in the video above), it’s extremely easy (even for the least tech-friendly person), and has the potential to increase your customer count greatly.
For those of you who don't/can't watch the video, here are the steps involved in creating your google business listing:
- Head over to the google business listing setup link here: https://www.google.com/business/
- Click on the “Start Now” button.
- Fill in the relevant data fields that Google is Requesting from you including: Business name, country/region, street address, city, state, zip code, business phone, business category, and website URL. Once you have done so, click on “Continue”
- Google takes your data and compares to existing data to make sure it does not create duplicates. Therefore, it may ask you if one of the existing business listings is one that you own. Most likely, the answer will be no (unless it really is your listing) and in this case, you can click on “None of these match”.
- Google will then re-verify the information you’ve provided. You will need to click on the checkbox to verify that you are authorized. Once you have done that, click on “Continue”
- Google wants to verify that your business listing is actually true and accurate, and therefore will then request to send you the verification code via postal mail. You can click on “Mail”
- Google then reminds you to ‘keep an eye out’ for the postcard to arrive within 1-2 weeks. Often it comes within 3-5 business days, at least from my own experience. If you think you will not be at the physical location when the postcard arrives, but rather your manager will be there or a separate employee, then you can enter their name in the field where it says “Optional Contact Name”. When you’re finished, click on “Send a Postcard”.
- Next, you will receive a postcard in the mail from Google with the remaining steps to complete your verified google business listing.
As usual, if any of you guys get stuck in any of this process, always feel free to reach out to us. We are more than happy to help!